4.03.2007

Good Times


Saw this story this morning where Fort Worth district judge Elizabeth Berry sentenced some guy in a wheelchair to 15 years in prison. Sheesh.

Judge Berry and I became employees of the Tarrant County District Attorney's office almost 20 years ago. More specifically, we joined that office on the exact same day. I remember we, along with another new-prosecutor-to-be named Ann Box, were lined up in three metal chairs as a secretary curtly asked us questions so she could type up our official ID's. Questions of: Name, date of birth, height and weight.

Understand, the three of us had just met each other moments ago, but I had a feeling Elizabeth had a sense of humor. Anyway, as she was being asked the aforementioned questions for her ID, it came to the weight question. I can't remember now what she said, say "125", but as a joke, I leaned forward, looked at her with a cocked eyebrow, and in a sarcastic voice of mock disbelief said, "125?"

Elizabeth busted out laughing. Ann Box looked at me like I was the devil.